Spicy country sausages and peppers in tomato sauce
This is a rustic, spicy dish that is mostly enjoyed in the summer. Although there are many variations of “spetzofai” in Greece, the original recipe comes from Mt. Pelion. For this dish, buy mildly flavored beef sausages. If the sausages you can find are very spicy, then try to tone the dish down by using sweet peppers, or vice versa.
Pair it with fresh bread, feta or kefalotyri cheese.
- 6 country sausage, sliced
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 10 long sweet green peppers (or 6 bell peppers)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, grated
- freshly ground pepper and a little bit of kosher salt
1. Remove the stem and the seeds from the peppers and put them for 1 minute in salted boiling water. Remove them and place them on a paper with kitchen roll
2. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the peppers and allow them to sauté really well on all sides
3. Add the onion and the sausage, mix and let it cook for 5 minutes
4 .Chop the tomatoes and add them in the pan. As soon as the food reaches boiling point, lower the fire, cover and let it simmer so that the sauce thickens
5. The dish is ready as soon as the sauce is thick and the juices are reduced in the pan.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
(Illustration by minifrenchie)